Skip to main content

Short story:


The blind Tobgay

"Nothing is more embarrassing than to have a disabled person in the same class." Said the livid class captain Nado as soon as he entered the class.   "Because of Tobgay, our class aggregate has dropped down to third highest from the first." He added, stressing unusually more in the last sentence.

The whole class giggled in union and nodded in mass. "Yes, because of him, we have also lost in the dance competition last Saturday." Said Dorji; the tall boy who has chosen the last desk as his permanent seat. "I too hate to be one of his class mates" whispered Yangzom to her desk mate cheki."

"Tobgay, go and hang yourself to death instead of living such a useless life." Said Wangpo from the other corner with his huge-hoarse voice."You are just a nuisance who let other people down."

All the 41 pairs of the eyes from the class got the same single focus; on Tobgay's face. Tobgay felt like he is on the world's largest flame. He felt like he will melt down at any moment, soon. His heart made the largest beat at one moment and skipped the beat in next. But no one cared. He wished of eloping in the form of a thin air, away from all the rumors encapsulating him. At that moment, one would have gone crazy except Tobgay. Tobgay was someone who can tolerate and accept all the blames, not because he is born blind but because he is born gentle. Blushed and stunned, disappointed and dejected, the hottest tears began to toll down from his brown eyes that's been covered by the dark spectacles.

There were no sign of soft heart from the class crowed at his cry but the long-confusing silence. Everyone stared blankly at Tobgay as if he is a living ornament in some museum until the emergence of a soft voice; the heart warming voice of Karma.

 "When each one of us can witness Tobgay's situations, why can't we, or at least some of us listen at how he has got into that way?" And the class broke that long-dead silence. " Yes, let's find out what caused his blindness since this very young age." Added some of them.

°°°
Tobgay was so hurt that he didn't want to speak out a word. But the pledges from the class, especially the pleasant voice of  Karma made him forget the pain and gave him the energy.

 "Alright then." Tobgay cleared his throat. "Let me narrate my story."

"No doubt. I come from a very pathetic family status like you all can see. I lost my father while I was in eighth grade due to excessive alcohol intake. Even though he was an alcoholic, he never used to let  me to go to bed hungry. Once i was completely tired from school and as soon as i reached home, i went to bed. At midnight, my father must have gone sober. He woke me up and made me eat two plates of boiled maize. So, the lost of my father was like lost of my happy times.

 Since then i was brought up by a single mother. We live opposite to a big stream. Every evening, i go there to take a rest after a long labor day because when i am in the open area, i feel like the god of blessing can see me and take away all our miseries. Our home is just by the name. It is no better than that of the cattle sheds. At night, sometimes, i sued to peep through the bamboo walls of my house and try to count the stars because i used to feel like if i can count all the stars, my mother and I will have a proper house and a proper meal."

After a long pause, he continued, "Three years ago, I was also like you all. I also had my eyes capable of seeing the world. I was also full of stubborn and ignorance like some of you." He discontinued the narration for a while. "However, I don't regret for the way I am now because I choose this way purposefully, for my mother." His voice got louder and it he sounded bit proud. "The eyes I am having now is not mine, my eyes are in my mother's socket." He added.

"Waah, that's kind of you, Tobgay. Tell us more on how all those happened." Said Pema with almost a broken voice.

"Alright Pema."

He continued,,, "One day, my mother fell off from the fodder tree while herding the cattle's of our land owner. She had whole of her body injured including the eyes. Following that accident, our living got worst. We suffered from the shortages of the daily meals.

I was too helpless then. I even couldn't offer my ailing mother a warm blanket to rest forget about a warm food to help her feel better.
 
Since then, I found out that my mother is everything. I found out that my mother is more precious than the pair of my eyes. So, I decided to transfer my eyes on her. She refused at first and at all didn't agree. She said me she is old and would die at any time. The eyes is not important to her but the son.

That night i cried the whole hours without a single blink of sleep because i was starving. In the morning, i said my mother that she can refuse to get the eyes transplanted if she want her son to die of hunger. With a broken heart, she finally agreed because she want her son to be alive, no matter what.  And I am proud that my decision proved successful. My mother can now see the world and feed me." Tobgay gave the broad smile with the tears in his eyes. "

"Today I am here with you at this College not because I wanted to trouble you all but because to fulfill one last wish of my mother."  Tobgay gave another pleasant smile but the pain inside his heart was almost visible.

"All this long, my mother had the dreams to see me as a college boy, from this Nursing college because she wanted to have my eyes re-transplant. Yes, i am very curious about that because it is really bad when i can't see my own mother who loves me so much. And finally when I am on the verge of making one of her dream alive, I am sorry for being nuisance to you all." Tobgay said apologetically with his head kept measurably lower than the rest.

Few seconds later, his fingers anxiously reached to his homemade, bamboo walking stick that was kept bending to the right corner of the desk infront of him. And with everyone's notice, he quietly walked off the class without making any noise except the tik-tok sound from his walk mate. The sound from his stick appeared like that of the sound made by the broken heels of the women.

The class crowd was once again into a long silence. No one said anything to break the silence that has lasted the entire time till Tobgay is completely out of the class sight and till karma stood up and followed him.

°°°
"Tobgay, where are you going?" Karma blocked his way running through the veranda. "It's almost the time for the second period. You will get into trouble if madam Shushill finds out about your absence."

She stopped his further move by holding his lower arms. And that touch was her first touch on the male's skin. She felt the unknown, shock like currents passing through her veins. She felt "wow" inside. And then helped him turn back and return to the class.

To their entrance, the class crowed welcomed with the blaring of the noisiest applause. Most of the eyes were directed on Tobgay with an immense appreciation.

"Sorry Tobgay." Said Nado, Dorji and Wangpo on a turn wise basis. And finally, the whole class apologized Tobgay for their rude treatment.

Inside, Tobgay felt warm and lively. He felt like another new Tobgay is born out of him at the touch of the love and appreciation from outside, other than the love from his mother. In exact term, he felt completely different after a years of defamation. 

From behind, karma watched Tobgay taking his seat nervously, like stick the first and his body the second. She smiled inside, adoring his every single movement.

Thank you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Connect back here.

Dear valued readers, Did you miss me? Yes, I know you did. Thank you. Well, I have had enough pause for the writing I mean updating in my blog. I just couldn’t get into the blog for some reasons, reasons that I cannot really figure out. At some point, I thought I am not going to write. Really. I thought I will just leave it. Not because I had no time. I had enough time. I spent 100s of hours watching Korean drama and reading some short fictional stories online. I enjoyed those hours more than I enjoy scribbling my nonsense like this. Maybe, I didn’t want to use my brain or waste my energy scribbling. Maybe, I like something more fun or something more luxurious like getting lazy and not doing anything good. Oh no, these excuses make no sense. Let the blame be on me. Yes, I just didn’t feel like writing. I was just that fat lazy fox, wanting to be ideal. But you know what? Do you know what got me writing this? It’s my readers who got me this pause button back to playing. I have had seve

I missed my blog

I missed my blog Though it is not more than a week that I last updated my blog but why do I feel like it has been a decade ago? You know, I don’t write regularly neither I write well when I do. I have never enjoyed one of my writing as much as I enjoys of all others. However, the creation of blog ID online has like insisting me to write, almost every day. I feel like something has gone missing if I don’t write anything in a day. A single sentence or a single paragraph suffices this feelings though.  But these days, I have been out on filed, on tour. This may seem like an excuse if I say I haven’t written anything. Well, to be honest, I haven’t written anything of my interest. It is because I just didn’t know what to write? People say “For a writer, they don’t need a topic. Everything can be the topic of interest.” But you know, since I am not a writer, nothing could be my topic. This somehow made me little too much embarrassed. Saying this, it may seem like I do wa

My history for the blog

Blogging has never been my dream or it wasn’t actually in my mind up until I was in the final year at College. In fact, I have never heard of blogging until one of my college mates talked about his blog during our informal chit-chats.   I said inside “What nonsense is that thing called blog?”  He was saying “Blog is an online page, where we can write whatever. And it is almost like an online diary.”  Back in the room, I tried to find out more about blog. And I found out that ‘blog is an online page, like my friend said where we can publish, update and share it on the World Wide Web.’ Still, my impression was same because i felt i have no story to be shared to the world's page.  Thus, I never got curious in the blog thing and I didn’t even explore. By the way, I was facebook freak that time. And ofcorse, I am still the same. Whatever little thing I used to write other than my personal diary, I used to upload it under my timeline in the facebook. I used to get flat