Skip to main content

Why I wear full Kira?


Because I am an ordinarily born girl to a humble farmer family, I've always liked to wear half like every other girl. 

During those days in 2009, when I was studying in Mendrelgang Middle Secondary School, Tsirang, it was compulsory that all girls should wear full Kira. (Of course, it is obvious that the uniform Kira should be worn full, it sounds like it should be ok to wear half Kira on weekends.) But that wasn't the case. There would be a frequent and an ad hoc checking by the teachers and captains. So, none of us used to wear half Kira even during the hot Tsirang's weather. However, all of us (girls) used to secretly dream of wearing half Kira. 

The next year, when I was in Damphu Higher Secondary School, wearing half Kira on weekends wasn't an issue. With utmost joy, I found half Kira is quite comfortable and also easy to put on. 

The years later, when I was to go to College, which on other side is usually seen as an institute where girls will need lots of Kira because College doesn't have the uniform, my mom has woven me dozens of Kira, but all half. (Of course, it is comfortable and also bit cheap to weave the plain half Kira because of the fewer materials and the fewer days required to finish weaving one.) I had only a limited numbers of full Kira. 

All the girls I saw, both in and outside the college campus, all the lady staff, almost all the lady officials were on half Kira. All of them looked elegant and comfortable. So, I continued wearing half Kira because it was accepted everywhere. Nobody bothered about it. Even after I joined the current work I am doing, I was comfortable in half Kira and wearing full Kira was completely out of my mind. 

However, one day, I was reading some papers about the country's cultural identities. (Of course, I grew up knowing that dress code is one of the country's unique identity, the paper I read said something about blending the traditional habits with modernization and luxurious.) I though don't remember the lines exactly, it said something about burning down the huts to live in a castle, and preferring the imported wines over the locally brewed ara. 

The examples from the above were quite relatable to the shift of wearing half Kira from the full. I felt quite embarrassed and remorse.  I thought, why can't I wear full Kira and keep its essence alive? Why can't I be comfortable in full Kira when my mom and grandmom were comfortable in it? 

So, yea, that's the story why I chose to wear full Kira.  It's almost a year now that I've been in full Kira and I am perfectly comfortable in it. 

These days, when all other girls are wearing half Kira, I may look odd before them. I may look typical and still untouched by the sense of fashion and modernization. But that's okay. I won't any way become like what others are thinking about me. What matters is to be 'myself' and make a small contribution to the bigger cause. 

*I am happy I am always wearing full Kira and it is very comfortable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets Connect back here.

Dear valued readers, Did you miss me? Yes, I know you did. Thank you. Well, I have had enough pause for the writing I mean updating in my blog. I just couldn’t get into the blog for some reasons, reasons that I cannot really figure out. At some point, I thought I am not going to write. Really. I thought I will just leave it. Not because I had no time. I had enough time. I spent 100s of hours watching Korean drama and reading some short fictional stories online. I enjoyed those hours more than I enjoy scribbling my nonsense like this. Maybe, I didn’t want to use my brain or waste my energy scribbling. Maybe, I like something more fun or something more luxurious like getting lazy and not doing anything good. Oh no, these excuses make no sense. Let the blame be on me. Yes, I just didn’t feel like writing. I was just that fat lazy fox, wanting to be ideal. But you know what? Do you know what got me writing this? It’s my readers who got me this pause button back to playing. I have had seve

I missed my blog

I missed my blog Though it is not more than a week that I last updated my blog but why do I feel like it has been a decade ago? You know, I don’t write regularly neither I write well when I do. I have never enjoyed one of my writing as much as I enjoys of all others. However, the creation of blog ID online has like insisting me to write, almost every day. I feel like something has gone missing if I don’t write anything in a day. A single sentence or a single paragraph suffices this feelings though.  But these days, I have been out on filed, on tour. This may seem like an excuse if I say I haven’t written anything. Well, to be honest, I haven’t written anything of my interest. It is because I just didn’t know what to write? People say “For a writer, they don’t need a topic. Everything can be the topic of interest.” But you know, since I am not a writer, nothing could be my topic. This somehow made me little too much embarrassed. Saying this, it may seem like I do wa

i am wearing a specatcle

I am wearing a spectacle I still remember one of my lecturer at College saying “People who wears spectacles are intelligent.” And he asked one IQ to a girl with spectacle. Amazingly, she got the answer right.  “Wow! Could it be true? True that people with spectacle is intelligent?” I wondered inside, adoring her intelligence.  Since then, I used to give extra time in understanding people with spectacles especially the smaller children and the students. Whenever I see the student with spectacle, I understand them as the most hardworking and the intelligent one.  But now, my stupid believe is gradually changing. Ofcorse, to certain extent, it may be right because the eyes get defected when focused more on books and screens. But the real reason why a person wears spectacles is following the repeated health discomforts.  For almost a year from now, I used to get headache but not even once, I didn't doubt that the headache would be associated with my eyes proble